Wednesday 4 December 2013

Holy Basil -Purple stems kemangi/selasih ( Basil kampug Purple)

Purple stems local basil /Purple stems kemangi/selasih is different from Purple Basil. I love purple stems kemangi as ulam in laksa or as ulam cicah budu ,sambal belacan or tempoyak. Which ever available in my kitchen . or even basil  in my tea.

Purple stem local basil grow every where in my back yard,especially during in raining season like now.The parent was given by my friend, I thought she gave the Purple Basil ( sister to Sweet Basil  but with purple pigments). But to my surprised, mine in local basil /kemangi  with purple stems. The taste is also different from Purple Basil, it has the daun selasih/kemangi taste.Alas, I thought I will be making purple pesto soon. So I bought Purple Basil seedlings, yes when they were young, the purple colour of their leaves are purplish, but since I planted them in the area which receives  full  sun light exposure, the leaves turn greenish like in pic below as they grow older,yeiks!!

purple basil leaves turning greenish at some one else garden too !!! so I don't feel so bad anymore.

Owh!! so many varieties of puple stem kemangi/basil!!!! mine is  different from this one either!


Green/Purple/green basil trive in some one else garden-- I do hope my purple basil turn like this too.
plucked some young shoots of purple local basil and peria katak (a small bitter gourd) for my omelette filling



use the young shoots and wrap them in omelette. (hmm..the young shoots of purple kemangi doesn't look purple at all :P)

My breakfast this morning: Omelette with purple kemangi fillings and bitter gourd cicah tempoyak!!! DIVINE!!!

The seeds for the parents of peria katak/peria jantung bought fromtanamsendiri.com
http://www.tanamsendiri.com/2013/06/benih-untuk-dijual-peria-katak.html
Jom makan  ulam cicah tempoyak :D
 Here is more info Holy Basil http://rawedibleplants.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/holy-basil-ocimum-tenuiflorum.html

1 comment: